If you are looking for a new and interesting way to use an avocado, this may be the ticket. I was originally going to make a green salad with sliced avocado and yogurt dressing, but instead decided to use the avocado as a base for the dressing. The avocado creates a thick and creamy texture similar to a thick cream based Caesar but brings a light fresh taste and welcomed punch of nutrition. This is a very thick dressing so you may choose to add a little extra olive oil or a splash of water (if you want to save some calories) to thin it out to your liking.
The seasoning used on the chicken breasts is great! Its simple to prepare and uses common ingredients with a taste that's very reminiscent of a rotisserie style spice rub. You may want to make a large batch for future use!
Grilled Chicken Salad with Creamy Avocado Dressing
Calories: 300 per serving
2 chicken breasts
1 tbsp olive oil
1/2 tbsp paprika
1/2 tbsp chili powder
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp dried thyme
1/2 tbsp brown sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
8 cups salad greens
1 oz goats cheese
2 strips low sodium bacon
1 ripe tomato or 6 small cocktail tomatoes
1/2 ripe avocado pitted and peeled
1/4 cup low fat yogurt
2 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp lime juice
1 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp cayenne
salt and pepper to taste
- In a small bowl combine the paprika, chili powder, cayenne, garlic powder, onion powder, thyme, brown sugar and half a teaspoon of both salt and pepper. Evenly coat the chicken breasts with the spice mix, drizzle with a tablespoon of olive oil and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Heat a small sauté pan to medium heat and fry the bacon. Remove from the pan, drain on paper towels and crumble.
- In a grill pan over medium high heat sear the chicken breasts on both sides until done, about 8 minutes. Remove the chicken from the pan and allow to rest for about 5 minutes.
- In a blender combine all of the salad dressing ingredients and blend until smooth
- In a large salad bowl combine the greens, tomatoes and dressing. Slice the chicken breasts into 1/4" thick slices and lay over top of the salad. Sprinkle the bacon over the salad and top with crumble goats cheese.