Ok, I admit, I have no idea what a Moroccan person (Morocconian?) would consider soul food, but I decided to roll with the clever title.
I love meals that are cooked in pouches. I don't know why, but I think it has something to do with cracking into that foil package and finding a pile of flavourful, steaming hot grub. It's like finding a buried treasure, only instead of treasure its food, and instead of being buried it comes from your oven. Same difference.
This is a simple, quick to prepare recipe that packs a lot of flavour and healthy goodness all in a sexy little foil pouch. If you've never had, or don't like quinoa (what's wrong with you?) this is a great way to get some of this super healthy grain into your diet. We cook it in chicken stock to infuse some great flavor and mix it with couscous to create a light, fluffy texture.
Topping that pile of tasty grains are some quickly stir fried veggies, a piece of light, flaky sole and a killer Moroccan style spice paste. What's not to love?
Moroccan Style Sole and Quinoa
2 sole fillets, about 100g each
1/4 cup quinoa
1/4 cup couscous
2/3 cup chicken stock
1-2 cups mixed vegetables
1 tbsp olive oil
1/2 lemon, juiced and zested
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp paprika
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 tsp chili paste or 1/2 small diced chili
1-2 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
a pinch of salt and black pepper
- In a small sauce pan bring the chicken stock to a boil. Remove 1/4 cup of boiling stock and pour it into a small bowl with the couscous. Set aside. Add the quinoa to the pot of remaining chicken stock, cover and allow to simmer for about 20 minutes.
- In a non-stick skillet over medium-high heat add 1/2 tbsp of olive oil. Sauté the vegetables for about 3-4 minutes or until partially cooked.
- In a small dish combine the cumin, paprika, garlic, lemon juice and zest, chili paste, cilantro, a pinch of salt, black pepper and remaining 1/2 tbsp of olive oil to make a paste.
- Lay out 2 double layered sheets of aluminum foil. divide the quinoa and couscous between the 2 foil sheets. Top with mixed vegetables and sole. Smear the spice paste over the sole. Fold up the sides of the foil sheets to create 2 nice foil pouches.
- Bake in a preheated oven for 14-18 minutes or until done.